1. What were your initial concerns when your daughter suggested volunteering abroad?
Would she be safe and well looked after in the area she was going to.
2. How did Projects Abroad handle your concerns?
They reassured me she would be well look after and someone would meet her at the airport and put confidence in the company.
3. Did you have any phone or email contact with the office staff prior to applying for the project?
No but my daughter did and told me what they had said at each step of the way.
4. Did you feel reassured that your daughter could reach support from our staff throughout her time overseas?
Yes, the area was indeed safe and staff were friendly. The staff were always on hand if anything went wrong.
5. Did you find that your daughter had enough opportunity to contact home whilst away?
Yes, Laura got a local phone SIM card and was able to call us. Also she had weekly internet access in the local village where she messaged us on facebook and via email.
6. How did the trip affect your daughter? For example has her experience helped secure a job or university place?
The experience has broadened her horizons and given an insight into how other people live and therefore has done her a lot of good. It also gave her something to talk about in her university interview. Finally, it has given her an interest in travel and made her want to travel further in the future.
7. Knowing the process from application to returning to the UK, is there anything else that Projects Abroad could do to improve the service?
No, there is lots of feedback which is given and Laura has enjoyed the service and experience they have given.
8. Would you recommend Projects Abroad to a friend?
Yes, it would help their children to become independent and have other things to think about other than computer games. It will also help them to see more of the world and is a good parent-friendly way to do it.
Dit verhaal is een persoonlijke ervaring van een vrijwilliger op dit project en dus een momentopname. Houd er rekening mee dat jouw ervaring hiervan af kan wijken. Onze projecten veranderen constant, omdat we inspelen op de lokale behoefte en we voortborduren op de behaalde resultaten. Ook verschillende weersomstandigheden kunnen de ervaring beïnvloeden. Lees meer over wat je kunt verwachten van dit project of neem contact met ons op voor meer informatie.
Back to Volunteer Stories